Monday, July 15, 2013

Door-to-door Evangelism...By Kim



Yesterday was the 3rd day of the third village we were in. Usually the third day is a half day for us to allow our teams a time to rest, and repack the suitcases for the next village. However, a few of us were able to join the Victory team for door-to-door evangelism. I had the opportunity to do this last year as well, so I was very excited to once again participate in this time.
When we arrived at the third village, we found out that we would join that church for service, and then go out for our evangelism time. Attending church in Uganda is quite the experience. They truly participate in corporate prayer (everyone praying at the same time). It is loud and passionate, and such an amazing experience. We worshiped with them for the first hour. Although we did not know the words to many songs, you could not help clapping and dancing. They asked several people to stand and testify to what God has done in their lives. It was very humbling to hear people say that they were thankful that God brought the “whites from America” with medical and vision supplies. After the testimonies, one of the guys from our team preached the message. Then they invited people forward to be saved. It was like a tent revival…and we were literally under a big tent with the breeze keeping us cool.
After church we all gathered in a circle to pray for our time going door-to-door. Then we were placed into groups of 4 or 5 and sent out. I had an amazing translator (Kristen) with me. She informed me that I would be doing most of the work since people were more willing to listen to a "white". But I reminded her that since she knows the culture better than I do, I wanted her to feel free to add to or explain anything she thought would be helpful. We stopped at the first house we came to. There were several women outside sitting in the shade with the children playing around them. One of the men with us (a pastor) made the introductions and asked if they would allow me to share with them. They said that was fine, and several other women came to sit down as well. In all there were 5 women and 4 children sitting around me. I knelt down on the ground with them and began sharing the reason we were there. Yes, we were bringing medical and vision aide, but most importantly, we were there to share about the love of Christ. After talking with them for several minutes, 3 of the women said that they wanted to be “born again” and I was able to lead them in the salvation prayer. We celebrated together, invited them to the crusade that night, and then continued on our way to the next house.
We did not make it to another house, however, because we ran into a group standing in the road. Many of the children already had the gospel bead bracelets on their wrists, but there was one teenage girl that did not. We asked if I could share with her the meaning of the beads. That time about 12 gathered around me. After I shared with her, she prayed to accept Christ as her Savior. Then, we realized a young man had come up to the outskirts of the group. He asked what I was sharing, so I told him the message of Christ and he accepted as well. There was one other woman in the crowd who was a Muslim. She did not pray to accept Christ at the time, but I invited her to the crusade, and she came!!! When I saw her I was so excited and she came and gave me a big hug. I don’t know whether she ever prayed to accept Christ as her Savior, but I know that God will continue to do a work in her life.
We only had about 20 minutes left, so we continued down the road until we came upon an elderly woman. I could tell by the crucifix she was wearing that she was catholic. We stopped and I began sharing with her. It didn’t take long for another group to gather around us. Not only had all the children from the previous group followed us down the road, but a few additional adults gathered around us and sat on the side of the road to listen. I shared with the group, and although no one accepted Christ at the time, I am confident that God will continue to work in the hearts and lives of those people.
By the time I was done sharing with that final group, it was time to return to the church to meet up with the other groups. We shared about our experiences, and then we spent some time praying for those who heard the message as well as for protection for ourselves.
It truly was an amazing day. The Lord continues to amaze me, and I feel so privileged to be used by Him.
We only have 2 more days. Tomorrow is our last day for the vision/medical/dental clinics, and then we’ll have a final crusade on Wednesday night. Everyone is exhausted. They truly have “poured themselves out” at each village. Please continue to pray for us. Pray that the Lord would be our strength over these next 2 days. Pray that we would finish with the same passion and excitement as we started this trip. And pray that many more would come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior.
As for the Stanley’s and I, we will be heading back to New Hope on Thursday. This will be the first time we are not returning home with our team. I know it will be hard to not only leave our partners from Victory Living Word Church, but also our teammates from Texas. Pray that the Lord would continue to guide us over the next 2 weeks and would continue to provide opportunities for us to serve Him.

May He receive all the glory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment