Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A post about Troy by Tamra


In my other blog, there wasn't really any mention of Troy. Sometimes he's the odd man out, or so it seems. He really just doesn't share in some of the more obvious characteristics of the rest of the StanClan. Mainly, he does not in anyway enjoy being in front of a group of people, whether its speaking, singing, dancing, etc. Last summer he played a main role in a musical at a church music camp and even sang a couple of solo lines, much to my surprise. I'll never understand how Claire, the totally awesome choir director, got him to do that, but she did and he did a fabulous job. Other than that one time, he'd rather not be in front of people.

So, here in Uganda, that is very true for him as well. He can be found guarding the supplies on the bus, helping carry water jugs, or other random things that some might think are not important, but are just as necessary for the functioning of the mission teams. When you need a bottle of water and the bus isn't locked up, you're glad Troy is sitting there. If he weren't there, the bus would have to be locked up every time the driver had something to do. Of course, last year he also helped in the dental clinic and the pharmacy.

This year, he has been more hands on in the vision clinic. One day he asked if he could try what I do. He actually did it for a long while that day, and on the following day, he did it the entire time. It was here that I learned he had managed to stay under the radar all this time. A man whom he was interviewing did not know The Lord, so they passed him off to my interpreter (I had walked away for a moment). When I got back, my interpreter said the man wanted to pray. I said that Troy could do it, but Troy said, "I've never done it." Now, I knew that Troy had not participated when the team goes up to dance on stage, or preaching to a tent, or many other things, but I did not realize that he had not personally participated in leading someone to The Lord. So, I told him it was time. I assured him that the interpreter could help him (after all, our partners are probably more experienced than any of us when it comes to sharing the good news and praying with others).

After this, I also talked with Troy about stepping out of his comfort zone. The following day, Troy did the same job ALL day. It was good to see him really participating in the work directly with the people. I continued to encourage him and talk with him about stepping out. When we got to the next village, Troy's opportunity came. We had a tent full of people waiting to be seen in the clinics and they needed to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. Who would preach to this tent of people? Troy!

Of course, he was very nervous, and so was I. I said a prayer for him as he got started. I prayed for the Holy Spirit to do His work regardless of how eloquent or prepared Troy was. I knew that Troy knows the message and he can share what the gospel beads mean, but I also knew that he isn't much of one for detailed explanations or public speaking.

Sure enough, he made it through. I don't know how many people came to know The Lord because I wasn't there to count, but it really doesn't matter. He stepped completely out of his comfort zone by getting in front of that crowd of people. I don't think I'll ever forget what he said when he came back to the tent where I was working. He said, "Mom, I nearly passed out." Of course, he said it with that big grin of his but he definitely meant it.

Troy also had the opportunity to help in the dental clinic again this year. He filled the syringes with numbing medication to save the dentist some time. On one of the last nights in village 4, Troy was even seen dancing in the crowd. Of course, as soon as Floyd pointed the camera in his direction, he stopped. ;)

Needless to say, while Troy may not be caught in front of the crowd, he is definitely known as part of the team. If you need something done, you can always ask him (unless it involves taking the stage). In fact, I have some respect for the fact that he doesn't want the spotlight. There is something to be said for being completely satisfied to work in the back ground. He doesn't need any applause or affirmation; he is totally ok with being the only person to know what work he has done.

Ironically, as we had dinner with Pastor Johnson on our last Sunday in Uganda, he said some big words about Troy. I know I've heard him say it before, even last year, but he said it again. He said that we'd all be missed, but "this one most of all," as he pointed to Troy. Of course Troy disagreed, but Pastor Johnson reaffirmed his statement. He is certain that many of the team members from Victory Living Word would miss Troy most of all.

Add on:I originally started this while on the church plant, then added some after our weekend in Kampala, and now tonight was our last night at family group. I'll do another post about that, but right now I'll just stick to what's relevant here. Uncle Rukundo was saying a message to us and he particularly thanked Troy for loving his boys and being so friendly. It was just another moment to see how Troy is appreciated here in Uganda. His awkwardness and quirky personality don't get him made fun of or left out of the fun. Instead, they love that he just wants to be their friend and have a good time. Of course, they also see that he has a good heart and assume the best when he makes a mistake. They give him the benefit of the doubt that his intentions were good.
I think we could all learn a bit from them on this one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment